MATCH REPORT: Congleton High School vs Macclesfield Football Academy

MFA in seventh heaven as they cruise past Congleton 7-2 on Wednesday afternoon 

A hattrick from Joe Cobey, a brace from Tom Kerr and a goal each from Sam Jordan and Alfie Tyldesley made the afternoon quite straight forward for MFA as they move joint top of the table.

After tasting defeat last week against Elite football academy, MFA made the short 8.8-mile journey to Congleton High School with manager Kyle Lord looking for a reaction from his players as they try to get back on track and move into top spot. 

Macclesfield started off the game the strongest with some great possession and was rewarded after 6 minutes as a great ball over the top from Alfie Alfie Tyldesley sent Joe Cobey in and Cobey cooley slotted the ball over the onrushing Congleton keeper to make it 1-0. 

MFA kept up their pressure and could have had more goals in the opening 15 minutes but failed to convert their opportunities. Firstly Alfie Alfie Tyldesley managed to beat two Congleton defenders in the box but a heavy tough meant he couldn’t get a clean strike on the ball and the keeper gathered. James Chadwick was unlucky not to get on the score sheet as he saw his header cleared off the line after rising well from the corner. 

On 16 minutes, Congleton equalised with their first meaningful attack as from a throw-in the Congleton Striker managed to round Joe Haigh and slot the ball into an empty net. 

This set back didn’t stop MFA from playing some really good football and creating some great chances to score. The pressure paid off in the 21st minute as Sam Jordans free-kick was deflected and found its way to Tom Kerr on the edge of the six-yard box and he steered the ball past the keeper to give MFA the lead again. 

Kerr got his second and MFA’s third two minutes later as his attempted low cross which should have been collected easily by the keeper, managed to slip under the keeper’s arms much to the delight of Kerr. 

MFA started to really control the game and could have again increased the scoreline with Sam Jordan, Luke Boyle and Callum Berry all missing chances to increase the lead.

Sam Jordan on the ball

Congleton grew into the game again but didn’t really test Haigh in the Macclesfield goal. In the 39th minute, Haigh could do nothing to prevent Congleton from scoring their second as Congleton number 10 struck a superb half volley which looped over the diving Haigh and into the far corner of the goal to make it 3-2. 

Macclesfield tried to extend the lead before half time but couldn’t find that final bit of quality to score another. So they went into the break 3-2 up. 

It only took ten minutes into the second half for MFA to increase their lead with Cobey being played through 1 on 1 with the Keeper, he slotted it past the keeper to make it 4-2 to MFA. Minutes later Cobey could have had his hattrick after connecting well from a Callum Berry cross, but his shot smashed against the post and was scrambled to safety. 

MFA kept having chances but couldn’t convert them with the Congleton keeper making a couple of good saves. Sam Jordan finally got his goal as he burst into the box, going past two defenders before firing past the Congleton keeper to make it 5-2. 

The scoring was wrapped as MFA scored 2 goals in 2 minutes. Firstly Alife Tyldesley’s powerful shot from the edge of the box was too much for the keeper and nestled into the bottom corner, then Joe Cobey dribbled past a three Congleton defenders before a smart finish completed his Hattrick and make it 7-2 to MFA. 

The result moves MFA up to joint first place in the league. Next up for MFA is Oldham College at All Hallows on the 27th Feb. 

Hear what manager Kyle Lord has to say below

Match Gallery

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: