MATCH REPORT: MFA VS Elite Sports Academy

MFA hard done by in narrow 1-2 defeat to Elite Sports Academy

MFA have two goals disallowed in the last 10 minutes to taste only their third defeat of the season.

MFA didn’t start off too well and conceded after 7 minutes when an Elite Sports midfielder heading the ball over the top of the defence and the ESA striker latched on to it to score with a precise finish into the bottom corner. 0-1.

MFA started to get back into the game, and the rub of the green just wasn’t in their favour, Sam Jordan, Joe Cobey, Callum Berry and Alfie Tyldesley all seeing shots be saved or go wide of the target.

A pretty uneventful first half came to a close and MFA had to up their game. 0-1 down. Manager Kyle Lord made a change of formation to a 3-5-2, and a much improved MFA side began the send half like a team who wanted to win the league.

After the early goal for Elite Sports, they didn’t have any more chances after, and MFA kept the tempo up with the ESA goalkeeper producing great save after great save. And then a sucker-punch came — 17 minutes into the second half. Elite Sports scored with only their second shot on target of the game. Across from the left wasn’t dealt with and the forward poked home past Haigh. 0-2.

MFA kept going after this and got their just rewards 10 minutes later. A cross from the right from Sam Jordan found the head of Alfie Tyldesley who powered past the goalkeeper. 1-2. Then, in the last 15 minutes of the game the MFA pressure looked to have taken its toll on Elite Sports when Joe Cobey poked a fumble by the goalkeeper goal bound, and despite the ball crossing the line, the referee who was positioned by the halfway line failed to give the goal.

MFA should have been level but despite this kept pushing. With only a couple minutes to go, Joe Haigh came out of his goal and up for a free kick to add some height into the box. A ball in from Sam Jordan found the head of Haigh whose glancing header went into the bottom corner of the net. Despite being onside himself, the referee gave an offside for a player who didn’t attempt to play the ball.

This just wasn’t to be MFAs day and a glorious chance to go 2 points clear at the top was gone, and MFA slipped to fourth because of the defeat. A game that could and should have been won ended up being a disappointing loss for the lads who didn’t give up and were a huge credit. Manager Kyle Lord said: “We lost that game because of our first-half performance, we were unlucky today and didn’t get the rub of the green. Sometimes these things don’t go your way, but you have to bounce back and get a positive result in the next fixture”.

MFA will be looking to bounce back when they play Congleton High School away next Wednesday at 1:30pm.

Team: Haigh, Smith, Sibbett, Midgley, Kerr, Chadwick, Tyldesley (MOTM), Berry, Robinson, Jordan, Cobey.


Tomlinson, Pinto.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: